Metal Storm and EOS Ltd unveil Redback Weapon System
By: ACN Newswire
Posted on February 21, 2006 at 06:27 AM EST
Metal Storm Limited (Metal Storm)(ASX: MST) and Electro Optic Systems Holdings Limited (EOS) today announced the unveiling of the Redback Weapon System prototype at the Asian Aerospace and Asian Defence Technology Exhibitions in Singapore.
RedbackTM is a lightweight, fast-reaction, remotely operated, weapon system. It is designed to provide intense directed firepower for short periods in applications such as vehicle protection, convoy defence, perimeter control, robotic systems and area denial.
The system is designed to include the following features and benefits:
- Firepower. RedbackTM deploys multiple 40mm Metal Storm barrels firing a range of munitions at selectable rates of fire, including the ability to engage up to 3 targets in 1.2 seconds. With EOS precision sensors and control systems, this results in intense directed firepower.
- Light. RedbackTM will be available in system weights from 70-100 kg - less than one conventionally-equipped combatant.
- Fast. RedbackTM control and servo systems will allow multiple threats to be engaged, fast enough to engage incoming missiles and projectiles for vehicle defence.
- Intelligent. RedbackTM has proven EOS networking capabilities that allow multiple systems to operate with a coordinated response to large threats.
- Versatile. RedbackTM can carry a mixed load of munitions to allow non-lethal and lethal response at the same time. This range of response is an unmet market need for peacekeeping missions and urban warfare with non-combatants present.
RedbackTM has successfully test-fired 40mm munitions jointly developed by ST Kinetics and Metal Storm. In a related development, Metal Storm this week announced the successful firing of jointly-developed high explosive, enhanced blast and airburst rounds with St Kinetics in Singapore. These munitions are compatible with RedbackTM, and add significantly to the versatility of the weapon system.
The RedbackTM development effort is on schedule for customer trials this year with the objective of having it operationally ready by the end of 2007.
The Chief Executive Officer of Metal Storm, Mr David Smith, said "The unveiling of Redback is another major milestone for Metal Storm because it represents our first true product offering to the market. I am delighted with the progress we have made in our collaboration with EOS. Together with the munitions we are jointly developing with ST Kinetics here in Singapore we have unique capabilities we can market to defence customers around the world."
The Chief Executive Officer of EOS, Dr Ben Greene, said "Redback is designed to meet an urgent need for defence of convoys and individual vehicles, often in peacekeeping roles. The mixed-mission capability and intense firepower of Redback will be welcomed by our customers internationally."
About ELECTRO OPTIC SYSTEMS HOLDINGS LIMITED:
Design, development and production of advanced electro optic technology devices and systems for the space and defence markets.
About METAL STORM LIMITED:
Research and development of electronic Ballistics technology.
Electro Optic Systems Holdings Limited Dr Ben Greene Chief Executive Officer Tel: +61 414 365 658 Email: email@example.com Metal Storm Limited Australia: Ian Gillespie Chief Operating Officer Tel: +61 411 124 835 Fax: +61 7 3221 9788 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org USA: David Smith Chief Executive Officer Tel: +1 571 246 5571 Fax: +1 703 248 8262 Email: email@example.com
ELECTRO OPTIC SYSTEMS HOLDINGS LIMITED
METAL STORM LIMITED
Copyright Â© 2006 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.
Stock Market XML and JSON Data API provided by FinancialContent Services, Inc.
Nasdaq quotes delayed at least 15 minutes, all others at least 20 minutes.
Markets are closed on certain holidays. Stock Market Holiday List
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Press Release Service provided by PRConnect.
Stock quotes supplied by Telekurs USA
Postage Rates Bots go here
©2013 MoneyShow.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For a complete trademark notice, please see the Terms of Service